"The Most Powerful Pages on the Planet"
Black Leaders Today:
Charlye Heggins, District 1, City of Denton
First Elected to Council: 2005
Currently serving: Second Term
Charlye Heggins was elected to the city council to serve in District 1 in June 2005.
Council Member Heggins is the oldest of seven children and the mother of five sons, grandmother of six and great-grandmother of six.
In March 2004, she retired from 20 years serving as nutrition coordinator for SPAN.
Council Member Heggins is involved in various aspects of the Denton community, including:
- Volunteer announcer for PSA’s on KHVN 970 AM,- Past secretary of Denton County NAACP,
- Past secretary of Adult Day Stay,
- Parliamentarian/Chairperson for the Juneteenth Committee Gospel Extravaganza
- Founder/Director of the Kwanzaa Celebration
- Fred Moore Advisory
- Board memberSickle Cell Advisory Group member
- Keep Denton Beautiful supporter
- BIONIC Ministry of the Morse Street Baptist Church
- GDAC Member
She was selected as Poet of the Year (1991),
Who’s Who in Jet magazine,
Ms. Mature Denton (2002),
Ms. Texas Senior (2002),
Ms. American Classic 2002 (second runner up),
Council Member Heggins is very active as a volunteer at the Denton State School and is currently a foster grandparent for the organization.